Yummy Blueberry Upside Down Cake
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cup blueberries
- 2 eggs separated into whites and yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350.
- To make the topping heat the brown sugar and 2 T. of butter in a small saucepan. Cook until the butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Spray a 9 cake pan with cooking spray and then pour the sugar and butter mixture into the pan to coat the bottom.
- Add the blueberries in a single layer on top of the sugar and butter mixture.
- Separate the egg whites and yolks. Beat the egg whites at high speed until stiff peaks form. Pour the egg whites out and set aside for later.
- Then cream the sugar and 1/2 c. butter until well blended. Add the egg yolks and beat well and then mix in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour with the baking powder and salt and mix.
- Add the flour alternately to the batter with the milk.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into the cake pan and spread evenly. The batter will be very thick much thicker than a regular cake batter.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the center is cooked.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes then flip the cake upside down onto a serving platter but leave the cake pan on top of the cake for another 5-10 minutes to let the blueberries soak in.
This article and recipe adapted from this site