Vegan Coconut Cake
- 2 cups instant oats (gluten-free if needed) ground into flour
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut ground into flour (*see recipe notes)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (or use 150 g of regular sugar)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup apple sauce or 160 g peeled zucchini
- 1 1/3 cup ml) coconut milk canned
- 4 tbsp maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tbsp white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 340 g (1 medium or 2 small) Japanese sweet potato (*see recipe notes)
- 2/3 cup coconut butter (*see recipe notes)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1/2 cup coconut milk canned
- 4 tbsp coconut rum or use more coconut milk (*see recipe notes)
- I recommend using a kitchen scale for this recipe. You can easily switch between US and metric measurements underneath the ingredient list.
- Peel the Japanese sweet potato and chop into 1-inch cubes. Boil in water until fork tender. For this recipe you will need 340 grams of cooked sweet potato (about 1 medium Japanese sweet potato or two small ones).
- Meanwhile process the oats and shredded unsweetened coconut in an electric spice/coffee grinder or blender. Then add all dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 356 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Grease two 8-inch (20 cm) or 7-inch (18 cm) cake pans (or springforms) and line the bottoms with parchment paper.
- Process the wet ingredients in a blender and pour the mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Whisk until combined.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out almost clean. It can still be a little bit crumbly but shouldn t be wet! If you use just one cake pan the baking time will be much longer (about 50-55 minutes) but I definitely recommend 2 cake pans.
- While the cake is in the oven you can prepare the frosting. Simply process all frosting ingredients in your blender until completely smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake has cooled completely frost it and decorate with coconut flakes. Chill in the fridge for about 3 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Read Full Recipe >>>> Click Here