Ultimate Ice Cream Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup (98g) all-purpose flour
- 6 tbsp (43g) natural unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cups (155g) sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (150ml) milk
FILLING AND WHIPPED CREAM
- Ice Cream (your choice of flavor) softened
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream cold
- 3/4 cup (86g) powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pink gel icing color optional
- 12 oz semi sweet chocolate (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Sprinkles optional
INSTRUCTIONS1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C) and prepare a cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
2. To make the cupcakes combine the flour cocoa baking soda and salt in a medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. Add the butter oil sugar and vanilla extract to a large mixer bowl and beat together until light in color and fluffy about 2 minutes. Do not skimp on the creaming time.
4. Add the eggs one at a time mixing until mostly combined after each. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated.
5. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix until mostly combined.
6. Slowly add the milk and mix until well combined.
7. Add the remaining dry ingredients and mix until well combined and smooth. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed to be sure all ingredients are well incorporated. Do not over mix the batter.
8. Fill the cupcake liners about three quarters full. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
9. Remove cupcakes from oven and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.10. When the cupcakes have finished cooling use a cupcake corer or knife to remove the centers then fill them with your choice of ice cream flavor. I used 2-3 tablespoons of ice cream per cupcake.11. Put the cupcakes in the freezer while you make the whipped cream. Place the heavy whipping cream powdered sugar and vanilla extract in a large mixer bowl and whip on high speeds until stiff peaks form. If you’d like to color your whipped cream add the gel icing color with the other ingredients before you whip it. NOTE: If you want to make chocolate whipped cream replace half (6 tablespoons) of the powdered sugar with natural unsweetened cocoa powder.12. Pipe the whipped cream onto the cupcakes. I used a large round tip – Ateco 808.13. Freeze the cupcakes until the ice cream and whipped cream are frozen and firm.14. If you want to do the chocolate coating add the chocolate and vegetable oil to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 10-20 second increments until melted and smooth. Allow to cool for a few minutes then pour into a cup or bowl that is deep enough to dip into.15. Dip the whipped cream portion of the cupcakes into the chocolate and let the excess drip off. Add sprinkles quickly if using because the chocolate will begin to firm up quickly.16. Place the cupcakes back in the freezer. They are best stored in an air tight container.17. When you’re ready to serve the cupcakes allow them to soften for about 15 minutes or so. The chocolate topping can be fairly firm so you want everything to soften a bit.This article and recipe adapted from this site