The Best Strawberry Poptarts
IngredientsFor the pastry crust:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 pieces (1 stick)
- 6 tablespoons shortening
- 6 tablespoons ice cold water
- 1 large egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam (see notes for link) or your favorite flavor
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- To make the dough combine the flour sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Add the butter and shortening and pulse until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the cold water and pulse just until the dough starts to hold together. Don t over process.
- Gather the dough together and divide in half. Form each half into a disc. Wrap each tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- To make the filling combine the cornstarch and 1 tablespoon cold water in a small sauce pan. Whisk until smooth. Add the jam and heat over medium until it comes to a boil. Simmer stirring constantly for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow it to cool until ready to use.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to rest 10-15 minutes. Lightly flour a clean work surface and dust the dough with flour. Roll the dough to about 1/8 thick large enough to cut into a 9 x 12 rectangle. Cut the 9×12 inch rectangle into 9 equal 3×4 pieces by cutting four lines across on the 12-inch side and three down the 9-inch side. Gather dough scraps together and set aside.
- Place the 9 individual pieces of dough on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Beat together the egg and milk. Brush the egg mixture all over the cut pastry pieces. Place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of each pastry.
- Roll out the second pastry disc to the same dimensions and cut into 9 individual pieces. Prick the dough with the tines of a fork the round end of a small clean paint brush or chop stick to create vent holes.
- Place each piece of vented dough over the filling. Press the edges together firmly with a fork to seal. Repeat until all pockets are formed.
- Brush the tops of the pockets with a little bit of the egg and milk mixture. Place the baking sheet with the uncovered pastries in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gather all remaining scraps of dough and divide in half. Roll out to 1/8 thick and cut into additional 3×4 pieces or use a biscuit cutter to make round pieces. Repeat with remaining dough by filling brushing and refrigerating. I was able to make 6 additional small round pie pockets with the ingredients at hand.
- Remove the pastries from the refrigerator and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the pastries to a wire rack and cool.
This article and recipe adapted from this site