The Best Slow Cooker Hawaiian Shredded Chicken
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 small onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz. can crushed pineapple slightly drained
- 1/3 cup coconut aminos
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- For the wrap: Swiss chard leaves (or leaf lettuce) avocado slices shredded carrots shredded cabbage green onions sliced almonds fresh cilantro etc.
- Place chicken onions and garlic in a slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine pineapple coconut aminos lime juice ground ginger red pepper flakes salt and pepper. Stir to mix and then add to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Return chicken to slow cooker stir to mix all ingredients and set the temperature to warm (or low) until ready to serve.
- Assemble Swiss chard wraps with desired ingredients.
Instant Pot Directions:
- Select ‘Saute’ function. Add 1 Tbsp. fat of choice (we like ghee or coconut oil). When fat is melted add onion and garlic and cook stirring frequently for 5 minutes until onions start to soften.
- Add remaining ingredients (chicken through black pepper). Press ‘Cancel’ button and lock lid in place. Flip vent valve to ‘Sealing’ position.
- Select ‘Poultry’ setting (15 minutes; add 2-3 minutes if breasts are thick) When cooking time is up manually release pressure and carefully remove the lid. Shred chicken with two forks and serve as desired. Updated: For High Altitude allow for 5 minutes of natural release before flipping the valve to ‘Venting’ position.
This article and recipe adapted from this site