The Best Jelly Cakes
Jelly Cakes Ingredients
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 x 85 g (3 oz) packet strawberry or raspberry jelly crystals
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 125 g (4 oz) butter
- 1/2 cup caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising (self-rising) flour sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 cups desiccated coconut
How To Make Jelly Cakes Recipe
- Pour boiling water into a large heatproof jug. Sprinkle jelly crystals into jug stir until crystals are dissolved then stir in cold water.
- Pour jelly mixture into a large shallow dish about 20 x 25 cm (8 x 10 in) cover and refrigerate for 2-2 1/2 hours or until jelly is just starting to set. (It is important that the jelly is used at the right consistency; if it is too firm it will not stick to the cakes.)
- Meanwhile lightly grease 3 x 12-hole shallow patty pan tins (1 1/2-tablespoon capacity) and preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat until just combined. Add flour milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Spoon tablespoons of the mixture into prepared tins. Bake for about 10 minutes or until lightly browned. They’re ready when a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove cakes from tins and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Glue 2 Jelly Cakes together with mock or whipped cream and then roll your cake in the jelly coating it evenly. Toss the jelly covered cake in coconut until it’s coated all over. Repeat with remaining cakes and arrange on a platter to serve.
This article and recipe adapted from this site