The Best French Chocolate Tart With Brown Butter Crust
IngredientsFor the crúst:
- 3 oúnces bútter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil any mild flavored oil is fine. I úse canola.
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon súgar
- ? teaspoon salt
- 1 cúp all-púrpose floúr slightly roúnd cúp
For the ganache filling
- 1 cúp heavy cream
- 8 ½ oúnces good qúality chocolate**
- 1 oúnce bútter
- Preheat the oven to 410º F (210º C).
- Cút bútter into small pieces and place in a mediúm-sized ovenproof bowl (I úse Pyrex). Add the oil water súgar and salt.
- Place the bowl in the oven úntil mixtúre is búbbling and júst starting to brown aboút 15 minútes.
- Remove bowl from the oven and redúce temperatúre to 375?F.. The bowl will be very hot so handle with a hot pad till it cools down. Immediately add the floúr (stand back a bit as the mixtúre may spútter as floúr is added). With a heat-proof spatúla stir úntil the mixtúre forms a ball.
- Transfer the doúgh to a 8 or 9-inch* (23 cm) tart mold with a removable bottom. When it s cooled down a bit press doúgh to an even layer with yoúr fingers. I like to start with the sides and then press the remaining doúgh on the bottom. (David Lebovitz súggests reserving a small ball of doúgh to patch úp any cracks once the crúst is baked. I do this if the filling is a rúnny egg mixtúre bút with this thick chocolate ganache I don t worry aboút it.)
- Pierce the bottom with a fork all over. Also press the sides of the crúst with a fork to reinforce.
- Bake for 15 minútes or úntil crúst is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before filling.
- For the ganache filling break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a mediúm size bowl.
- Heat the cream. When it reaches the boiling point remove. Yoú can heat the cream on the stovetop or in the microwave. Remove it from the heat júst as it starts to boil.
- Poúr the hot cream over the chocolate. Stir with a heat-proof spatúla till creamy and all chocolate has melted. Add the bútter and stir well to incorporate.
- Poúr chocolate mixtúre into cooled crúst and refrigerate for at least one hoúr. Can be made úp to 24 hoúrs in advance. Top with raspberries strawberries caramel whipped cream or whatever strikes yoúr fancy!
Recipe Notes* I úsed a 9-inch pan. If yoú like the crúst a little thicker úse an 8-inch pan. ** Úse the best chocolate yoú can afford. Paúla úsed Valrhona bút there are lots of other good choices.This article and recipe adapted from this site