The Best Cuban Mojo Chicken
- 1 Oranges zest and juice
- 3 Limes zest and juice
- ¼ Cup Fresh Oregano loosely packed
- 1 Cup Fresh Cilantro loosely packed (Parsley is ok if you’re sensitive to Cilantro)
- 6 Clove Garlic crushed and chopped
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Cumin
- 1 3-4 Pound Chicken
PROCESS to Grill:
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until smooth
- Place chicken breast-side down with the legs towards you
- Using kitchen scissors or shears cut along either side of the backbone to remove it save the backbone for stock
- Break the wishbone with your knife
- Turn the bird breast side up and just press down with the palm of your hand to make it lay flat.
- Make a shallow incision at the joint between the drumstick and thighs
- Make a shallow incision at the joint between the wings and breast
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour on the marinade ensure your cover the chicken completely. Marinate at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Pile the charcoal on one side of the grill you don’t want the chicken to be directly over the flames.
- Place the chicken skin side up on the grill with the legs closest to the flames but again not over the flames
- Cover the grill and roast the chicken for 30-45 minutes until and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and the breast reads 165F
- Wrap in foil let rest for 10-15 minutes
PROCESS for Oven Roasting:
- Truss the chicken and place in a large freezer bag. For trussing instructions go ‘HERE’
- Combine all Mojo Sauce ingredients in a bowl and mix well
- Pour the Mojo Sauce into the freezer bag with the chicken and coat the chicken well
- Let rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours 24 hours is best
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Remove the chicken from the bag and pour the Mojo sauce over the chicken
- Place chicken in a roasting pan (line the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up)
- Roast for 20 minutes
- Rotate pan and roast another 20 minutes
- Continue to rotate every 10 minutes until an instant-read thermometer reads 165F in the thickest part of the thigh and the breast but not touching a bone.
- Remove from the oven once it reaches 165F brush lightly with olive oil cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.
This article and recipe adapted from this site