Stuffed Chicken Marsala
- 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1 12-ounce jar julienned sun dried tomatoes packed in oil drained (if you can t find them julienned you can buy sun dried tomato halves and thinly slice them yourself)
- 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups marsala cooking wine (may sub chicken broth)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- grated parmesan cheese and parsley or thyme for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Use a sharp knife to cut a slit horizontally along one side of the chicken breast being sure not to cut all the way through the chicken – the goal is to make a pocket .
- Fill each pocket with 2 slices of mozzarella cheese 1/4 of the sun dried tomatoes and 1/4 of the shredded parmesan cheese.
- Pinch together the open side of the chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks. Drizzle chicken with oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste and Italian seasoning rubbing in with your fingers.
- Transfer chicken to a large oven-safe skillet and brown chicken over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side. Place chicken on a plate while you prepare the marsala sauce.
- In the same pan (don t clean it) add marsala cooking wine garlic mushrooms salt and pepper and heavy cream. Stir and bring to a boil and cook for 3-4 minutes. Return chicken pan and spoon some of the sauce over the chicken.
- Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until chicken is cooked all the way through and cheeses are melted. Spoon sauce over the chicken top with grated parmesan cheese and parsley or thyme if desired and serve.
NotesI use sun dried tomatoes packed in oil drainedThis article and recipe adapted from this site