Soft Buttery Homemade Caramels
- 4 cups sugar
- 2 sticks butter 1 cup
- 2 cups white corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
- Melt the sugar butter corn syrup and salt together in a large heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil add the evaporated milk a little at a time taking 15 minutes per can and stirring constantly. A labor of love indeed.
- Once all the milk is added use a candy thermometer and bring the mixture to 238F and not a touch hotter! Even 2 degrees hotter will make them chewy instead of soft.
- Pour into a parchment lined 13×9 pan and cool completely. Cut and serve. Enjoy!
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE