- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 Tablespoons granulated sugar (for rolling the dough balls in)
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon (for rolling the dough balls in)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together butter shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour cream of tartar baking soda and salt and stir until combined.
- Shape dough by spoonfuls into balls. I grease my hands with cooking spray since the dough is slightly sticky. I also like to put one finished tray of rolled cookies in the fridge while I m rolling the second. Then when you re ready to roll them in cinnamon and sugar they are easier to handle.
- In a separate bowl mix the 4 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place dough about 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 8 to 9 minutes (don t over bake!) Remove immediately (and carefully with a good spatula!) from baking sheets onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
This article adapted from this site