Rigatoni Meatball Soup
Meatball Ingredients:• 1 pound ground beef (85/15 ratio organic if possible)• 1 French roll (2-3 ounces) processed for 20-30 seconds in food processor for breadcrumbs• 1 egg whisked• 1 teaspoon salt• 1 teaspoon dried basil• 1 teaspoon dried oregano• 1 teaspoon dried parsley• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper• 4 cloves garlic pressed through garlic press (Need a good garlic press? Here’s the link: Rowav Garlic Press)• 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese• Splash of milk or half & half (about 2 tablespoons)Soup Ingredients:• Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)• 1 onion roughly chopped• 1 teaspoon dried basil• 1 teaspoon dried oregano• 1 teaspoon dried parsley• Pinch salt• Pinch black pepper• Pinch red pepper flakes (optional)• 8 cloves garlic thinly sliced• 2 tablespoons tomato paste• 1/4 cup red wine (optional)• 1 (28 ounce/ 793 gram) can organic whole peeled tomatoes• 6 cups warm chicken stock (I like Better Than Bouillon to make my stock)• 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley• 8 ounces uncooked rigatoni cooked according to package instructions• Grated mozzarella cheese (about ¼ cup per serving so about 2 cups total)Preparation:
- -Prepare your meatballs by placing your ground beef into a large bowl and then adding in the remainder of the meatball ingredients; gently mix together just until combined and using a tablespoon scoop portions of the mixture and roll between your palms to form meatballs.
- -Place a large soup pot (non-stick is ideal if you have it you can give this one a try: Calphalon Unison Nonstick 4-Quart Soup Pot with Lid) over medium-high heat and drizzle in about 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; once the pot is hot add in the meatballs working in a couple of batches if necessary; if you have a non-stick pot then you can leave your meatballs to brown on that first side undisturbed for about 2-3 minutes; if your pot is not non-stick make sure to move it around vigorously for about 30 seconds when you add in the meatballs so they don’t stick to the bottom before the sear up.
- -Once the meatballs are browned on all sides (about 4 minutes total per batch) transfer them to a plate or bowl to hold; then drizzle in a touch more olive oil (if needed) and add in the chopped onion.
- -Saute the onion scraping up the good bits from the meatballs as much as possible; add in the dried basil oregano and parsley plus a pinch of salt pepper and red pepper flakes (if using) and stir for a couple minutes until things soften.
- -Add in the garlic and stir that to combine and once it becomes aromatic add in the tomato paste and stir to incorporate that in about 30 seconds or so; add in the red wine to deglaze (if using) and after about 20 seconds add in the whole tomatoes and the chicken stock.
- -Simmer the soup for about 15 minutes; then using a blender or a hand-held immersion blender (my personal favorite for soup here’s the link: KitchenAid 3-Speed Hand Blender) puree the soup until smooth.
- -Add the meatballs into the soup and bring it back to a gentle simmer; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes more until the meatballs are tender.
- -To serve add ½ cup of the cooked rigatoni to a bowl and ladle in some of the soup (about 1 ½ cups) along with 4 meatballs; top with about ¼ cup grated mozzarella cheese and either enjoy immediately or place under the broiler for a minute to melt and slightly brown the cheese.
This article and recipe adapted from this site