Pumpkin French Toast
- 4 eggs
- ? c. milk (whole low-fat or skim)
- ½ c. pumpkin puree
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 12 slices Texas toast french bread challah croissant halves
Whipped pumpkin butter:
- ½ c. (1 stick) salted or unsalted butter room temperature
- ? c. pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Set a large non-stick skillet set over medium heat add a small amount of butter and melt.
- In a rectangular baking dish whisk together the eggs milk pumpkin puree vanilla cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice.
- Dip the bread into the mixture flip sides and then place on the hot skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown about 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat with remaining ingredients serve hot with whipped pumpkin butter maple syrup and toasted chopped nuts (if desired).
- To make the pumpkin butter in a small mixing bowl add the softened butter and beat with a hand mixer for 2 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the pumpkin puree maple syrup or honey vanilla cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Beat for an additional minute or until fluffy. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Notes-I ve made the whipped pumpkin butter with both honey and maple syrup. I prefer maple syrup when using it on pancakes waffles and french toast and honey when using it on rolls. Feel free to use whichever you prefer!-If you like your french toast on the sweeter side add 1 tbsp. of brown sugar to the mixture.This article and recipe adapted from this site