Perfect German Bee Sting Cake
IngredientsMake the Cake
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp yeast (1 packet)
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup milk (at room temperature)
- a few drops of oil
Make the Topping
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 packet vanilla pudding mix (3.4 oz)
- Mix flour sugar yeast salt butter egg and milk together. Knead dough a few times until it becomes smooth.
- Take dough out of the bowl add a few drops of oil to the bottom of the bowl (spread it around with your fingers) and then put the dough back in the bowl. Cover with a towel and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- While the cake dough is rising make the topping. Melt butter honey and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. When the butter has melted add cream and then mix until sugar is dissolved. Remove saucepan from heat and stir in sliced almonds.
- Butter an 8×8 baking dish and then place a sheet of parchment paper inside so edges hang over. Roll out dough and then press into pan. Prick dough several times with a fork. Pour almond topping onto dough and spread evenly. Bake for 35 minutes in 350F. The topping will be golden brown when done.
- Let the cake cool for a few minutes. When you can touch the topping with your fingers use a long serrated knife to cut the cake in two layers. Place the top layer on a sheet of parchment and use the same long serrated knife to cut the top layer into 9 pieces. It’s much easier to cut the top layer when it’s still a bit warm.
- Add pudding powder to heavy cream and then whip to stiff peaks. Spread filling on bottom cake layer. Place top layer on the cream filling piece by piece. Chill in the fridge for 1 hour or until the filling is set.
- When you re ready to serve the cake be careful not to not press down too hard on the top layer when cutting the bottom layer because the filling will spill out. Enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site