Millionaires Cookie Bars!
- 275 g Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Corn Flour
- 115 g Unsalted Butter
- 55 g Granulated Sugar
- 135 g Light Brown Sugar
- 1 medium Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 100 g White Chocolate Chips
- 100 g Milk Chocolate Chips
- 100 g Dark Chocolate Chips
- 200 g Unsalted Butter
- 3 tbsp Caster Sugar
- 4 tbsp Golden Syrup
- 397 g Condensed Milk (one tin)
- 100 g White Chocolate
- 100 g Milk Chocolate
- 100 g Dark Chocolate
InstructionsFor the Cookie Bars
- Preheat your oven to 190C/170C Fan and line a 9x9inch Square Tin with parchment paper and leave to the side for now.
- Whisk/Mix the Plain Flour Bicarbonate Salt and Cornflour together so its evenly distributed – leave to the side.
- In a larger bowl melt the butter. Add in the two sugars and whisk for about 2 minutes so the sugar starts to dissolve and the mixture is smooth. Add in the Egg and the Vanilla and whisk again briefly till smooth. (I used an electric whisk)
- Add in the Dry Ingredients and the Chocolate Chips and mix with a spatula till a thick cookie dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into the bottom of the tin. Bake the traybake in the oven for 18-22 minutes until the top of the cookie bake looks ‘dry’!
- Leave to cool whilst doing the next stages.
For the Caramel
- In a large saucepan pour the Condensed Milk Unsalted Butter Sugar and Golden Syrup and melt on a medium heat till the Sugar has dissolved – stir frequently to stop anything from catching.
- Once the Sugar has dissolved turn the heat up high and let the mixture come to boiling point and boil for 5-7 minutes stiring constantly so that the mixture doesn’t catch. BE CAREFUL as the mixture is VERY hot and can burn you if it splashes back!
- The mixture will be ready when it has changed to a slightly darker golden colour and has thickened to a soft fudge texture!
- Pour the caramel onto the Cookie Bars and leave to set for one-two hours on the side.
For the Chocolate
- Melt your three chocoaltes carefully till smooth – I personally do this in the microwave.
- Drizzle over the caramel in a swirly pattern or however you fancy and leave to set fully on the side or in the fridge.
- This will keep in an airtight container for at least 1 week – if they last that long!
- **If you struggle to cut your shortbread and tray bakes without the chocolate cracking on top set it at room temperature rather than in the fridge and it’ll be softer so therefore won’t crack when you cut it!
- Using a tinned caramel in place of making your own will NOT work. Tinned caramels do not set so it ll be messy.
- I don t store these in the fridge as it dries the cookie out but if you want to you can just beware.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE