Kick Ass Chicken Lasagna
- 9 uncooked lasagna noodles
For the Filling:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast cut into very small bits (1/2 inch or smaller)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 12 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces grated Parmesan Romano cheese
For the Cheese Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk (at least 2 %)
- 4 ounces grated Parmesan Romano cheese
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella divided
- For the Mushrooms:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 13 X 9 baking dish (I rub a little olive oil on the bottom and sides).
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package instructions but only cook halfway (because they will cook more in the oven). Drain and rinse with cold water (stops the cooking process).
- While the pasta cooks heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken. Then add the salt pepper oregano and basil. Brown the chicken over medium high heat. This will take only 4-5 minutes (because the chicken pieces are small).
- Set the drained noodles and cooked chicken aside.
- In a medium bowl mix together the ricotta cheese egg and 2 ounces Grated Parmesan Romano. Stir in the cooked chicken and set aside.
- Make the cheese sauce and cook the mushrooms at the same time. In a medium saucepan melt the butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour until it thickens. Then pour in the milk stirring while you pour. Bring it to a simmer.
- In a medium skillet (or re-use the pan you cooked the chicken in) melt the tablespoon of butter. Add the mushrooms and toss them with the oregano. Let them cook over medium high heat stirring occasionally until they are caramelly in color – about 5 minutes.
- When the milk in the saucepan simmers stir in the 4 ounces of grated Parmesan Romano cheese and 8 ounces of the mozzarella. Stir until it melts.
- To assemble the lasagna lay 3 of the noodles on the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over the noodles. Spoon or ladle 1/3 of the cheese sauce over the ricotta mixture. This will help it to spread. Top with half of the mushrooms.
- Repeat. When you get to the last layer sprinkle the entire top with the remaining 4 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
This article and recipe adapted from this site