Healthy Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (can also use thighs)
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice separated
- 1/2 cup + 1 teaspoon olive oil separated
- 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice separated
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lime zest separated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon + 1/4 teaspoon cumin separated
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro separated
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped jalapeno optional
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Optional: cilantro-lime rice or quinoa (see recipe notes)
- MARINADE: Whisk together all of the marinade ingredients: 3/4 cup orange juice 1/2 cup olive oil 1/3 cup lime juice 1 teaspoon lime zest honey 1 teaspoon cumin soy sauce garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste (I use about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper). Remove about 1/2 cup of marinade and pour the rest into a large resealable bag.
- Trim the chicken of fat. Pound the breasts to even thickness or slice in half to get evenly sized breasts and place in the bag with the rest of the marinade. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes making sure to flip the bag halfway through the time it is in the fridge. I recommend marinating for 2-8 hours.
- COOK CHICKEN: The instructions below are to grill the chicken. To see other methods of cooking chicken read right above this recipe card. Lightly oil the grill grate or grill ridges on a grill pan or add 1 tablespoon oil to a skillet and then place the marinated chicken on the grill. Discard leftover marinade.
- Grill for 10-12 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and internal temperature is at 165 degrees F. Flip the chicken halfway and brush it generously with the reserved 1/2 cup marinade.
- MANGO SALSA: Take the remaining 1 tablespoon orange juice remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil 2 tablespoons lime juice remaining lime zest and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro and toss together.
- (OPTIONAL: When grilling the chicken also grill the mango. Brush with oil and grill on one side for about 4-5 minutes at medium-high heat.)
- Chop the mango and avocado into small bite-sized pieces. Add to the salsa along with the finely chopped red onion red pepper and jalapeno. Season the salsa to taste with pepper salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cumin. Toss together.
- ASSEMBLY: Serve grilled chicken over a bed of cilantro lime rice or quinoa (if desired — see recipe notes) and add spoonfuls of the salsa to top. Enjoy immediately!
This article and recipe adapted from this site