Healthy Chicken Alfredo With Spaghetti Squash
IngredientsDairy Free Alfredo Sauce
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4-1 cup water or unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
Healthy Chicken Alfredo
- 2 medium chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil plus more as needed
- 28 ounces cooked spaghetti squash from about 1 large spaghetti squash
- fresh parsley chopped
InstructionsMake the chicken:
- Season the chicken breasts on both sides with plenty of salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon avocado oil over medium-high heat then carefully add chicken breasts to pan. Cook 8-9 minutes total for medium chicken breasts and 9-10 minutes for large chicken breasts flipping once in between cooking time. Add a little more oil to pan if necessary.
- When cooked through remove from pan and let rest 5 minutes. Then slices into strips against the grain.
Make the dairy-free alfredo sauce:
- In a high-speed blender combine all ingredients. Blend until completely smooth and hot. If your blender does not heat contents transfer sauce to saucepan and heat over low heat.
- Assemble the healthy chicken alfredo:
- Heat the spaghetti squash through either in the microwave or in a large skillet then top with the dairy-free alfredo sauce and sliced chicken. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and more freshly cracked black pepper.
Recipe NotesTo make spaghetti squash:Halve your spaghetti squash and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Discard seeds. Place spaghetti squash halves on a baking sheet or in a roasting pan. Add a little water if you like about 1/2 cup to help steam the squash. Roast at 400º F for 30-45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven and let cool slightly then use a fork to gently scrape the flesh out of the skins separating the flesh into strands or spaghetti. This article and recipe adapted from this site