Glazed Lemon Pound Cake Loaf
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 Tbsp lemon zest from about 1 large lemon
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup sour cream removed from fridge 15 minutes before using
- 1/2 cup icing/confectioners sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice plus more as needed
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Spray an 8×4-inch loaf pan with baking spray and line with a piece of parchment paper that covers the bottom and long sides with an inch or so extending past the top of the pan (these will be the handles to lift the loaf out of the pan).
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the butter with the sugar until light coloured and fluffy. (Don t skimp on this process. It should beat about 3 minutes). Add the eggs one at a time and beat in well after each addition scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Beat in the lemon zest lemon juice and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl whisk together well the flour salt baking soda and baking powder. With mixer on low add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the sour cream starting with 1/3 of the flour 1/2 of the sour cream 1/3 of the flour last of the sour cream then finally the last of the flour.
- Scrape into prepared 8×4-inch loaf pan and level batter. Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes then run a knife along the short ends and use the parchment paper edges to lift and remove from pan. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- While loaf is still a little warm prepare the glaze adding enough lemon juice to make a pourable glaze. Place a baking tray under the cooling rack to catch any drips and spoon glaze slowly over top of loaf allowing it to drip down the sides a bit. Cool completely then slice and enjoy.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE