Easy Homemade Classic Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 cups Organic All-purpose flour (I used Bob s Red Mill)
- 3 cups Artisan Bread flour (I used Bob s Red Mill)
- 1 packet Rapid Rise Yeast (That s 2 1/4 tsps!)
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar + 1 Tbsp (I used Sugar in the Raw!)
- 1 1/4 cup Almond milk (I used Califia Farms; You can also use whole milk if preferred)
- 1/4 cup WARM water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (That s 4 Tbsps!)
- 2 large eggs room temp.
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the Filling:
- 3 Tbsps unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar (I used Sugar in the Raw!)
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
Cream Cheese Glaze:
- 4 oz. organic cream cheese at room temp (That s 1/2 a pack!)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups organic powdered sugar
- 2-4 Tbsps organic heavy cream
- 3 Tbsps unsalted butter softened
Instructions:For the Dough:
- Start by combining the yeast and 1 Tbsp brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and then slowly pouring in the warm water while stirring everything together. Allow 10 minutes for the mixture to sit and the yeast to activate (It ll become foamy when done right!).
- Meanwhile melt the butter and milk together over the stove top on low to medium heat stirring frequently until the butter has fully melted. NOTE: You don t want the mixture to get too hot or boil! Set aside and let it cool until WARM.
- Add lukewarm butter-milk mixture to yeast and mix until well combined. Add eggs one at a time and continue mixing on low speed until well combined.
- Next combine the all-purpose flour bread flour brown sugar sea salt and cinnamon to the wet ingredients and mix on low-speed until well combined.
- Change mixer head to kneading accessory and knead dough for 5-10 minutes on medium-high speed until dough ball becomes smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers. NOTE: If dough is too sticky add 1 Tbsp of flour at a time until texture is achieved!
- Once dough ball is perfectly kneaded add it to a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it sit and rise for 1 hour to an hour + 15 minutes.
- In the meantime you can work on the filling!
For the Filling:
- Melt butter and set aside. In a separate bowl combine cinnamon nutmeg ground ginger and brown sugar and set aside as well.
- Once the hour has gone by and your dough has risen (about double it s original size) preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Next flour a flat surface and place the dough on it and using a rolling-pin roll it out to a rectangle (approximately 9 x14) trimming the edges if needed. NOTE: Try not to make the dough too thin or else rolling it up will be hard to do!
- Then generously brush melted butter overtop of dough and spoon the cinnamon-sugar mixture over the butter. NOTE: I also use a pastry brush to sweep sugar mixture evenly across the dough to ensure that every bite is sweet!
- Tightly roll dough (long-ways) and using a pastry cutter cut dough into 1.5 rolls placing each roll into a large baking dish (lined with parchment paper!).
- Then place plastic wrap over the baking dish with rolls and let them rise again (for another 20 minutes).
- Once the rolls have doubled in size (once again!) or have gotten significantly larger brush the tops of the rolls with a little more melted butter and then bake them for approximately 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
- While all the baking magic is happening make the cream cheese glaze and set aside.
- For the Cream Cheese Glaze:
- Simply combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer & beat together on medium-high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar vanilla extract and heavy cream continuing to mix on medium speed until you reach the desired consistency. **Add more heavy (1 Tbsp at a time if too thick) or powdered sugar (for more thickness).*
- Remove the rolls from oven and wait 15-20 minutes or so (until it completely cools) and then spread the glaze atop the rolls using a rubber spatula.
- Bon Appetite!
This article and recipe adapted from this site