Easy Crispy Roasted Garlic Chicken
- 1 (3-4 pound) whole chicken (giblets removed and discarded if included)
- 6 cloves garlic minced (about 2 Tbsp.)
- 2 Tbsp. butter melted
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Thoroughly rinse the outside and inside of the chicken. Gently pat try with paper towels.
- Using your fingers carefully lift up the skin on top of the chicken (near the neck) and pull up gently. With your other hand gently separate the skin from the breast and thigh meat. Then take half of the garlic and stuff it in between the skin and meat so that it is fairly evenly spread out. Take the remainder of the garlic and spread it all over the cavity inside the chicken.
- Then take the butter and baste the entire outside of the chicken. Sprinkle generously with freshly ground pepper and salt.
- (Optional: Cover and refrigerate for 12-24 hours.)
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position and preheat to 450 degrees. Place foil loosely in large roasting pan. Flip chicken so breast side faces down tucking the wings under (as pictured below) and set V-rack in roasting pan on top of foil. Roast chicken 25 minutes.
- Remove roasting pan from oven. Using 2 large wads of paper towels rotate chicken breast-side up. Baste briefly with pan juices or additional melted butter. Return to oven and continue to roast until instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 135 degrees 15 to 25 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees. Continue to roast until skin is golden brown crisp and instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of breast registers 160 degrees and 175 degrees in thickest part of thigh 10 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to cutting board and let rest uncovered for 20 minutes. Carve and serve immediately.
This article and recipe adapted from this site