Easy Chocolate Italian Love Cake
- 1 (15.25 oz) package chocolate cake mix PLUS additional ingredients called for on the package (my cake mix package required 1.25 cups water 1/2 cup oil and 3 eggs)
For the Filling:
- 2 lbs ricotta cheese
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
For the Frosting:
- 1 (3.9 oz) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup cold milk
- 16 oz. frozen whipped topping thawed (such as Cool Whip)
InstructionsPrepare the Cake Batter:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl mix together cake batter according to package instructions.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Spread to fill the pan evenly. Set aside (do NOT bake yet).
Prepare the Filling:
- In another bowl use an electric mixer to beat together ricotta cheese eggs sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Carefully pour the cheese mixture evenly over the top of the cake batter. Spread to cover cake as best you can (the layers will switch during baking).
- Bake the cake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the Frosting:
- To make frosting whisk together pudding mix and milk until combined and slightly thickened (about 1-2 minutes). Carefully fold the whipped topping into the pudding until combined.
- Spread frosting on top of cooled cake. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before serving.
This article and recipe adapted from this site