Easy Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- 600g / 1.2 lb chicken thighs (4 – 5) boneless skinless (or breast or tenderloin Note 1)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 300g / 10oz mushrooms sliced (not too thin)
- 40g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour (Note 2)
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth/stock salt reduced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup (150g) sour cream (or yogurt)
- 250 – 300 g / 8 – 10 oz pasta or egg noodles of choice (Note 3)
- Chopped parsley or chives for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet smooth side down.
- Press down lightly with with spatula. Cook for 4 minutes until golden.
- Turn and press lightly with spatula. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter melt. Then add onions cook for 1 minute then add mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off (this is flavour!).
- Add flour cook stirring for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated add remaining broth.
- Stir then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don t worry if it looks split sour cream will melt as it heats).
- Bring to simmer then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 minutes) adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back in (including plate juices). Simmer for 1 minute then remove from stove.
- Serve over pasta or egg noodles sprinkled with parsley or chives if desired.
This article and recipe adapted from this site