Delicious Vietnamese Coconut Caramel Chicken
- 4 large / 5 small chicken thighs bone in skin on (Note 1)
- 1/2 cup / 80 g brown sugar loosely packed
- 1 tbsp water
- 400 g / 14 oz coconut milk low fat (1 can) (Note 2)
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce (Note 3)
- 2 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 eschallot / French onion finely sliced (Note 4)
- 1/4 tsp white pepper (or black)
- 1 shallot finely sliced (green onion / scallion)
- 1 large red chilli finely sliced
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel) add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir then put the chicken in SKIN SIDE DOWN.
- Adjust the heat so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly not a slow simmer (I use medium high heat on a weak stove medium on a strong stove).
- After 25 minutes turn the chicken.
- After another 25 minutes the fat should separate from the sauce and turn a pale brown (see video).
- Turn chicken so the skin side is down. Move it around so the sauce doesn t catch on the bottom of the skillet and to brown the skin.
- Once sauce and skin is brown remove from heat.
- Place chicken on serving plates spoon over some sauce (don t need much chicken is infused with flavour + sauce is strong).
- Garnish with shallots and chilli if using. Serve with rice.
This article and recipe adapted from this site