Delicious Chocolate Almond Torte
- 7 oz/200 g bittersweet or semisweet chocolate roughly chopped
- 7 oz/200 g unsalted butter chopped
- 4 large eggs separated
- 1½ tablespoons brandy optional
- 1 cup (200 g/7 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (100 g/3.5 oz) almond flour/ground almonds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- cocoa powder for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-inch/20cm (or a 9-inch/23 cm) springform pan. Wrap the outside bottom and sides of the pan with aluminum foil to prevent leaking.
- Place chocolate and butter in a medium heat-proof bowl and microwave in 20 to 30-second increments stirring between each until melted. Alternatively you can set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water making sure the water doesn’t touch the bowl and stir occasionally until melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl place egg yolks and ½ cup (100g) sugar and whisk by hand for a minute until pale and thick. Stir in chocolate mixture brandy almonds and salt.
- In a mixer bowl fitted with a whisk attachment whisk eggs and the remaining ½ cup of sugar on high speed until thick shiny soft peaks form.
- Using a spatula fold one-third of egg white mixture into chocolate mixture until mixed. Fold in remaining mixture in 2 additions until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. The cake should be set on the sides but still wobbly in the center. Allow to cool on a wire rack then refrigerate for at least 4 hours until completely set.
- Sift cocoa powder over cake before serving. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
- Cake will keep well wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. It also freezes well.
This article and recipe adapted from this site