Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushroom Chicken & Bacon
INGREDIENTSFOR THE CHICKEN:
- 6 chicken thighs (bone-in skin-on or off)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
FOR THE CREAM SAUCE:
- 4 cloves garlic crushed
- 7 ounces (200 g) diced bacon
- 14 ounces (400 g) sliced brown mushrooms (Cremini)
- 1 cup heavy cream OR half and half*
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Salt only if needed to your taste
- Extra chopped fresh parsley to garnish
- Fresh shaved or grated parmesan to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200°C | 400°F.
- Arrange chicken on a plate. Combine together the olive oil garlic parsley salt and pepper in a jug. Rub the oil mixture over the chicken to completely coat.
- Heat a large oven proof pan or skillet over medium high heat. Sear the chicken skin-side down first until skin is crisp and golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side (about 2-3 minutes per side).
- Transfer to oven and roast until completely cooked through about 25-30 minutes.
- Once chicken is done remove from skillet; set aside. Pour out HALF of the chicken juices left in the pan.
- Using the same skillet the chicken was in fry the garlic in the reserved chicken juices over medium heat stirring frequently until fragrant about 1 minute. Add the bacon and fry until just beginning to crisp. Add in the mushrooms and cook until mushrooms begin to soften.
- Pour in the cream OR half and half chicken broth and Parmesan; allow to simmer until slightly thickened about 2 minutes. (SEE NOTES if using half and half INSTEAD of cream option.)
- Season with pepper. Taste first before adding in any extra salt as the bacon will add the salt.
- Add the chicken back into the pan; allow to simmer for 1-2 minutes in the cream to take on the flavours.
Garnish with parsley and shaved or grated parmesan if desired. Serve over rice pasta or steamed/grilled vegetables.NOTESTIPS
- If using cream: Thickened cream heavy cream light or reduced fat cooking cream are all fine to use. If you prefer a thicker sauce whisk together 1 level teaspoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon cream until lump free and well blended. Add the mixture into the cream sauce while stirring continuously until thickened.
- If using half and half: Bring to a gentle simmer; whisk 2 teaspoons of cornstarch into 1-2 tablespoons of *extra* half and half; pour cornstarch mixture into the centre of the pan; stir continuously until the sauce thickens and becomes a cream .
- Nutrition facts are calculated based on skin-on bone in thighs and reduced fat cream.
This article and recipe adapted from this site