Crazy Caramel Apple Pie Bombs
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter divided
- 2 medium apples peeled cored and diced (I used gala)
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar packed
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 30 caramels unwrapped and divided (I use Kraft)
- All-purpose flour (for dusting)
- 12 frozen white dinner roll dough balls (I used Rhodes)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with 2 tablespoons of the butter and set aside.
- Combine the apples 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar and the cinnamon in a medium bowl and toss to coat. Set aside. Unwrap the caramels and cut 18 of them into quarters. Set aside. Lightly flour your counter top.
- Flatten each dough ball into a circle about 3 inches across. You can use a rolling pin or you can pull the dough around the edges like you are making a mini pizza. Add 1 tablespoon of the apple mixture and 6 of the cut caramel pieces.
- Carefully pull each side over the center to create a “package ” and then roll the dough into a ball. Be careful to make sure you cannot see through the dough. If you have any tears or can’t seal the dough tap your fingertips in flour pinch any tears and roll again.
- Place the dough ball in the prepared dish seam side down. Repeat until all of the apple pie bombs are in the dish. Brush the apple pie bombs with the remaining 2 tablespoons of melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Bake the bombs for 30 to 35 minutes until the tops are golden brown and they are no longer doughy.
- Meanwhile place the remaining 12 caramels and the heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted 30 seconds at a time stirring after each interval. Once you have a smooth mixture set aside to cool.
- Remove the apple pie bombs from the oven and drizzle with the caramel sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
This article and recipe adapted from this site