Classic Stuffed Peppers
- 1/2 c. uncooked rice
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 bell peppers tops and cores removed
- 1 c. shredded Monterey jack
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a small saucepan prepare rice according to package instructions. In a large skillet over medium heat heat oil. Cook onion until soft about 5 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and garlic and cook until fragrant about 1 minute more. Add ground beef and cook breaking up meat with a wooden spoon until no longer pink 6 minutes. Drain fat.
- Return beef mixture to skillet then stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano salt and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up in a 9 -x-13 baking dish and drizzle with oil. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with Monterey jack then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
This article and recipe adapted from this site