Chocolate Mascarpone Brownies
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese at room temperature
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate chopped
- 6 tablespoons whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces
INSTRUCTIONSPREPARE THE BROWNIES:
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter an 8-inch square pyrex pan.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl; set aside. In a small glass bowl melt the butter in a microwave just until melted- don t let it cook and bubble (if no microwave melt quickly on the stove instead). Pour the butter over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted and the butter is well incorporated. Sift in the sugar and cocoa powder.
- With a wooden spoon beat in the mascarpone eggs and vanilla mixing until smooth. Gently fold in the flour and salt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let the brownies cool 10 to 15 minutes while you make the ganache.
PREPARE THE GANACHE FROSTING:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a mixing bowl. In a small saucepan bring the cream and butter to just below boiling point over medium heat. Pour this hot mixture over the chocolate and let stand for 30 seconds then stir until smooth. Pour the ganache over the brownies while still warm and spread to cover evenly.
- Let the ganache firm-up before cutting. It s best to refrigerate them until quite firm. Once the ganache is firm and the brownies have been cut they do not need to be kept in the refrigerator.
RECIPE NOTES*Look for tubs of mascarpone cheese (like the cream cheese tubs) in the gourmet cheese section of your grocery store- or in gourmet markets. Trader Joes carried mascarpone cheese at a good price (as well as good quality chocolate bars.)Base Recipe adapted from site