Chicken Rice Soup
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion minced
- 3 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts raw
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- In a large soup pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion carrots and celery and cook and stir for 3-4 minutes until onion begins to turn golden.
- Add garlic parsley and thyme and cook 1 minute.
- Add broth chicken rice salt and pepper. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low (a simmer) cover and cook for 30 minutes stirring every 10 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.
- Remove chicken from pot and shred. Add back to the pot with evaporated milk. Serve.
Notes*NOTE: carrots will be very tender by the time the rice is cooked. If you prefer your carrots with more bite to them add them after the first 10 minutes when stirring the soup.Base Recipe adapted from this SITE