Best Recipes Strawberry Stuffed French Toast
- 8 oz cream cheese (1 pkg) softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar plus more for topping
- 2 tsp vanilla extract divided
- 1 cup strawberries fresh or frozen sliced thin
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1 loaf french bread cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- maple syrup for topping optional
- Using a stand mixer (or a [eafl id=”15452? name=”hand mixer” text=”hand mixer”]+ large mixing bowl) add softened cream cheese sour cream powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Beat on low until cream cheese has broken down then mix on medium high until incorporated about 2 minutes. Use a spatula to scrape around the sides and bottom then beat again on medium for 30 seconds. Set filling aside.
- For the strawberries slice them as thin as you are able. If using frozen strawberries use a paper towel to absorb any extra juice; wet strawberries will cause the french toast pieces slip and be hard to flip while cooking. When strawberries are sliced and ready place them in a small bowl with 1/4 cup sugar. Gently toss strawberries until they are all coated in sugar. Set bowl nearby.
- In a small bowl with a flat bottom (or pro tip: use an aluminum pie tin) whisktogether milk eggs 1 tsp vanilla and cinnamon until thoroughly mixed. Set bowl nearby.
- Spread a layer of cream cheese filling on one side of sliced french bread. Filling should be spread thin (not globbed on) but still thick enough to thoroughly cover bread.
- Arrange strawberries in an even layer on top of the cream cheese spread keeping a 1/4 inch gap around the sides of the bread.
- Spread another thin layer of cream cheese on a new slice of french bread then gently press it to the other slice with the strawberries (like a sandwich).
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and warm over medium heat.
- Dip the french toast into the egg and milk mixture gently flipping to coat both the top and the bottom.
- Drop the french toast in the skillet and cook each side until golden brown about 2-4 minutes per side. To make flipping easier use a thin spatula to scoop under the french toast and gently press your finger on top to secure it while the french toast is turned over. Save time by cooking 2-3 sandwiches at once.
- Serve immediately with powdered sugar and syrup.
This article and recipe adapted from this