Best Recipes Healthy Turkey Chili
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 1 pound extra lean ground turkey or chicken (99%)
- 4 tablespoons chili powder (I used McCormick chili powder)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes or crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can sweet corn rinsed and drained
- For topping: cheese avocado tortilla chips cilantro sour cream
- Place oil in a large pot and place over medium high heat. Add in onion garlic and red pepper and saute for 5-7 minutes stirring frequently. Next add in ground turkey and break up the meat; cooking until no longer pink. Next add in chili powder cumin oregano cayenne pepper and salt; stir for about 20 seconds.
- Next add in tomatoes chicken broth kidney beans and corn. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chili thickens and flavors come together. Taste and adjust seasonings and salt as necessary. Garnish with anything you d like.
- Makes 6 servings about 1 1/2 cups each.
- I ve gotten a few comments about the chili being too spicy — I used McCormick s Chili Powder in this recipe which is very mild. You should not use a spicy chili powder. If you re using something else I would start with 2-3 tablespoons instead of 4.
- To make this recipe in the slow cooker: Reduce the chicken broth to 1/2 cup and brown the turkey and onions before adding to the slow cooker. This is an awesome tailgating or football party recipe!
This article and recipe adapted from this site