Best Apple Crisp Recipe With Oats
- 6 medium baking apples such as Granny Smith (2 1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup (50 to 100 g) sugar depending on tartness of apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup (100 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (65 g) old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar option: combine 1/4 cup brown sugar + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter melted (1 stick)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square (or 2-quart) baking dish.
- Core apples then cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Add apples to a large bowl with orange zest orange juice sugar cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir then add to baking dish.
- Combine flour oats sugar and the salt in a medium bowl. Add the melted butter then stir until all the flour has been moistened by the butter and topping is crumbly. Sprinkle over apple filling. (We like to use our hands to do this. As we sprinkle we press the crumbles together to create larger clumps of topping.)
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes or until juices are thickened the apples are tender and the topping has turned light golden brown. If the topping starts to become too brown cover with aluminum foil and continue to bake until the apples are done.
This article and recipes adapted fromt this site