5-ingredient Peppermint Chocolate Truffles
IngredientsFor the Peppermint Chocolate Truffles:
- 1 cup (227g/8 ounces) heavy whipping cream
- 2 and 2/3 cups (454g/16 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 5 and 1/2 Tablespoons (78g/2.75 ounces) unsalted butter cut into small cubes and at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
For the Chocolate Coating:
- 1 and 1/3 cups (226g/8 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chopped
- 6 full-size candy canes finely crushed
InstructionsFor the Peppermint Chocolate Truffles:
- In a small saucepan over low heat heat the cream just until it comes to a boil. Then immediately remove cream from heat and add in chopped chocolate. Allow the mixture to sit untouched for two minutes then whisk smooth. Stir in the butter and peppermint extract and vigorously whisk until smooth and shiny.
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and cool to room temperature before tightly covering the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerating for 2 hours or until firm enough to scoop.
For the Chocolate Coating:
- Fill a medium pot one-third full with water and bring it to a low simmer over medium heat. Place a heatproof bowl that will fit on top of the pan snugly but will not touch the simmering water on top of the pan. Reduce the heat to low and add two-thirds of the chopped chocolate into the bowl over the pot. Heat until the chocolate is completely melted stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula. Once the chocolate is completely melted remove the pan from the heat – keeping the bowl on top of the pan – and stir in the reserved chocolate.
- Right before dipping pour the melted chocolate into a liquid measuring cup.
- Before you begin make sure you have enough room in your refrigerator for both baking sheets; the truffles must chill before being dipped in the chocolate coating.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Measure 2 teaspoons of the truffle filling and quickly roll it between your hands to form a ball. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with all truffles. Refrigerate the rolled truffles for at least 15 minutes before dipping in the chocolate.
- Remove the chilled truffles from the refrigerator and begin dipping them into the chocolate using a small spoon or fork. Transfer the dipped truffles back onto the baking sheets and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Allow truffles to sit at room temperature until set about 1 hour.
- If you cannot find heavy whipping cream regular heavy cream will work. Regular milk should not be used as a substitute.
- Be sure to finely chop the chocolate so it easily blends with the cream.
- Use real chocolate not chocolate chips.
- Store truffles at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- If you do plan on making these ahead of time I suggest skipping the candy cane topping as it softens after a few hours. Alternatively you could refrigerate the undipped truffles until needed then dip them the day you plan on serving them.
- For creamier truffles add an extra 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream to the ganache mixture.
Base Recipe adapted from this SITE